Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The day AnnMarie got her ears pierced

I wanted to keep track of the special moments that we have shared, and I thought what a better way then through the blog. This is the story of AnnMarie getting her ears pierced.

Two and a half years ago CJ bought AnnMarie a pair of Mickey Mouse shaped earrings with her birth month in them. We had the green light from dad to get our ears pierced! However, I vividly remember Momma taking me on my fifth birthday to the mall so I could pick out my earrings and get them pierced. It was a rite of passage so to speak. I wanted the decision to be AnnMarie's and not mine, so I have waited.
Shortly before AnnMarie turned 4 she found the earrings her daddy bought. She wanted to know when she could wear them and I explained she needed to be 4 but when she was ready to let me know and we would plan a day of it. I asked several times if she was ready and the same response was no, not yet.
So imagine my suprise when we are eating supper one night this December and AnnMarie blurts out that she is ready to get her ears pierced. I had planned a trip to the Spartanburg Mall for a Christmas gift pick up for the next evening and it was perfect timing. Daddy was a little uncertain because we had pictures planned 2 nights later, and he was afraid of infection, but I convienced him that not everyone has a rough experience. (I ate those words later).
At the last minute I invited AnnMarie's best friend, Morgan, along for the ride. We ate Chickfila in the car as we drove the 30 minutes to Spartanburg. Mind you this is in December and I have never driven to Spartanburg in the dark, so I got a little turned around. The girls had no clue and were having a great ole time!
We had to wait a few minutes for everything to get set up and AnnMarie got to pick out her earrings. She chose Hello Kitty earrings which are adorable. The first ear upset AnnMarie and she did not want to get her second hole done. Morgan got in the chair with her and hugged her, it was so sweet. AnnMarie did fine and we finished up with no more issues, and off we went to check out the mall. The girls wanted to "shop". We got chocolate cookies and headed back home.
When we got home I decided we should probably go ahead and clean them. Imagine my suprise when I went to clean her ears and there wasn't a back on the first ear that was done. In all the excitement no one checked to make sure there was a back! We had purchased addtional earrings so I placed one of those backs on the stud.
The next morning I got AnnMarie up early so we could check out the earrings and get them cleaned. Low and behold the earring had come out...I was horrified. I promised CJ that this would be a simple and great experience, I was not doing well here. I tried getting the earring back in but to no avail. I told AnnMarie I would pick her up at lunch and we would go to Haywood Mall and see if they could get it in...or perhaps get it re-pierced.
When we got there I told the woman what happened. She was very apologetic and took a look. Come to find out the gun must of misfired and actually went into the cartiledge the first time. The first hole was not on target, so the manager advised to go ahead and redo it. AnnMarie was horrified and I felt awful. After a few moments of wressling, we finally got the ear repierced and AnnMarie didn't even cry when it happened.
Lo and behold we have had no infections and no issues. Thank the Good Lord! While it was an eventful process, I hope the memories will always be there. At least for me they will be :)

No comments:

Post a Comment