Monday, August 29, 2011

Two Mommies

I caught Noah saying yesterday, but I don't really know who Mamaw is. You say she is your mom, but you have two mommies.
I am one of those people that when I begin talking about my family the song "I am my own Grandpa" comes to mind. I'm not kidding.
When I was 12 my mom was unable to take care of my brother and I so we moved into our grandparents home. This is my mom's dad and his wife. We refer to them as Nan and Pop. When I was 16 I asked if they would adopt me. I had lived there since I was 12 and it was the most stable home environment I had ever lived in. It just made sense. But mom was still Pop's daughter and she was still my mom. So I have 2 moms.
This summer the kids went on what I call a week tour and literally visited every set of grandparent(s) they have. This included Mom, because she was in Savannah helping Grammy out at the time. They had a blast staying up until literally 1:00 am watching movies and giggling in the living room. I am so blessed that they were able to have this time with her before she passed away. Because the kids then visited Nan and Pop right after that the relationship of who everyone is begins to get a little confusing to the kids. The kids know the difference between Mamaw (mom) and Nan, but it was getting confusing for them to call both of them my mom. I knew at some point I would have to explain it a little further then what I have in the past. I won't even go into the fact that Tracy is my sister/aunt, Ted is the uncle/brother, Pop is the grandpa/dad, etc. Whew. No wonder everyone gets confused!

No comments:

Post a Comment